My etsy

My Spies

Friday 6 March 2009

Borsch & camping

As some of you may have heard, I went camping two weeks ago, and since then, I've been going on about Borsch. So what is 'Borsch'? Why have I become obsessed with it?! Well, best friend Kurt and I go on adventures, and this time, we decided to take someone with us, his name is Chris. I'd never met Chris before, and he turned up in Kendal with a load of Polish food, some of which, was Borsch! He introduced Kurt and I to this weird Polish soup, we didn't like it much, so we added things until it tasted better! In the end we had borsch with pasta, bread and noodles too!We had such an awesome time camping that we decided to go again, really soon, today in fact!! But this time, we were going to hold a Borsch competition! We all have to make our own borsch and take it camping for the others to try!
Problem is, I had no idea what borsch was, how to make it, what made it good or bad?! So, I went on twitter, and found someone awesome :) (Well, I think she found me actually!) She has a shop on etsy, called daisyspetals. Daisyspetals gave me her Mother in Laws Borsch recipe for me to use in the competition! I've been making borsch today, I made the recipe she gave me first, kept half of it, and then I wanted to see if I could add my own twist to it, so I have been playing with the other half, adding leeks, potatoes and parsnips. I think it's tasting great now, and I can't wait for the boys to try it when we are camping!
I think I might have made a tiny bit too much though!!

Left to right; Strained borsch, Daisyspetals recipe, my added stuff boiling away before being added.

So, have a go at making your own borsch, it's fun and if you get it right, it tastes great and it's really good for you too!
Maybe eat it in your own home though, instead of in a field in a tent when it's -1°C! I must be mad!

7 comment(s):

Daisy's Petals said...

You're an absolutely lovely person, Melissa! I'm so happy the recipe worked out for you:) You'll definitely need it to stay warm on your trip!

Have fun!
Deanna, Daisy's Petals

KMCdesigns said...

I couldn't have done it without you Deanna :D Thank you so much! x

Heather Leavers said...

*bleurgh* borsch has beetroot, doesn't it? brave you!

KMCdesigns said...

Yes nifty, it's pretty much beetroot soup. If you don't like beetroot, you probably wouldn't like it!

Jennifer Rose said...

hubby made borsch, the kitchen smelt like dirty gym socks when he was done. His grandparents ate it, and said it tasted fine, but I just couldn't get over the smell (I don't like beets, so that probably has something to do with it)

AMIT said...

Hey of which place this picture is of?Its a very good picture.

New Hampshire Drug Rehab

KMCdesigns said...

It is a campsite in the south of the Lake District, near Ambleside.